Friday, March 4, 2011

Top Ten Cartoon Musical Numbers

Yesterday, while doing some errand running, I set my i-pod to a playlist that I hadn't listened to a in a long time. One that has only animated movie soundtracks, cause I'm that freaking cool. There is some really fun music in these things and since I'm someone who--in addition to loving cartoons--also really enjoys musical theatre, I thought I'd share with you my top ten list of animated musical numbers.

This became a little more daunting than I thought it'd be because there are a lot of great musical numbers on television cartoons. Like this one from Animaniacs.

Then there are also musical sequences, but not necessarily musical numbers like "Pink Elephants on Parade" in Dumbo. Or anything from Yellow Submarine. So I decided to set some ground rules. First, these are songs from animated features only. And secondly, they are musical numbers sung by characters in the film, not music over an animated sequence. Is that confusing enough? Good. Here we go.

10 - "Oh, Ratigan" from The Great Mouse Detective.
This one is just really fun, and we've got Vincent Price singing lead. What's not to like?

9 - "Let's make Music Together" from All Dogs Go To Heaven
Another great number that is just a fun good time. And while there are several great songs from this movie, I've got to say that this is my favorite. I love the New Orleansy feel of it and the big soulful gay alligator.

8 - "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" from Song of the South
Yes, the film is not racially sensitive, but this song and this number are iconic. Even has an attraction at Disneyland based on it.

7 - "An Actor's Life for Me" from Pinocchio
This is one of my favorite musical numbers, not for the song necessarily, but for the animation. Watch the way the multi-plane camera let's you move around and through the buildings on the street. You wouldn't notice it if it wasn't there, but because it is, it gives the scene this little touch of believability.

6 - "Why Don't You Do Right" from Who Framed Roger Rabbit
I don't really need to explain this one, do I?

5 - "Prince Ali" - from Aladdin
Really fun 11 o'clock number. Great performance by Robin Williams here. A huge crowd with animals, people, and a market to animate. Nice work all around from all artists involved with this one.

4 - "Jolly Holiday" from Mary Poppins
What can I say? I'd feel dumb if I didn't have a scene from Mary Poppins on here. And anytime there's people and cartoons performing together, I think that's cool.

3 - "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid
A lot of animators I know aren't really fans of this movie, but I think it's gorgeous. Ariel is one of the princess who saved the Disney company. Snow White, Cinderella, and Ariel all saved the Walt Disney Studios at one point or another. I think this movie is gorgeous. And while it's, again, not my favorite song from the movie, it illustrates the beauty of this film magnificently. Also, as you watch I want you to look for something. Glenn Keane gave a speech once where he talked about drawing that little wrinkle under her eye. That little line under her eye makes her so much more expressive. I think this movie and this number are both beautiful.

2 - "Help Yourself" from Anchors Aweigh
True, it's not an animated feature, but I made the rules, so I can break them. Ken Muse in this scene is able to make Jerry dance like Gene Kelly in perfect step. I think it's truly amazing. I've watched this scene dozens of times in my life, and I still can't wrap my brain around how it was done.

1 - "Belle" from Beauty and the Beast
I could easily have filled this entire list with numbers from Beauty and the Beast. Not only is it a great animated movie. Not only is it a great movie in general. It is a really well constructed musical. It's one of my favorite musicals of all time, in fact. Solid, fun songs. Really well constructed, and this opening number is just amazing.

And there you have it: The Cartoon Guru's top ten list of musical numbers in animated features. You're welcome. Any missing from this list that you think should be on here? I'd love your thoughts as well.

CG

No comments:

Post a Comment