Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Looney Tunes Show Review

I have to admit that my executions were not that high going into the premiere of the new Looney Tunes Show last night, but when I watched it I had several laugh-out-loud moments. Granted there are a couple of cheap jokes in there also, but there are several really cool, smart jokes in there. However, I still maintain my stance that it doesn't really feel like the Looney Tunes. It's a funny show with characters that happen to look like the Looney Tunes.

Daffy Duck comes the closest. With his selfish, me-me-me take on everything, he really does come close to the mark. At least closest to the mark of the 60's-80's Daffy that I really love. They captured Daffy's voice and sense of humor pretty well. Even his voice is a fairly true to Mel Blanc's. I'm sure you're aware that this makes me very happy, as Daffy is one of my favorite cartoon--and even film-characters of all time.

For as much as Daffy is on the mark, however, Bugs is off the mark. They seemed to have turned him into an exasperated straight man for Daffy's antics. Where the old Bugs would egg Daffy on with a wink to the camera, this Bugs rolls his eyes in frustration like Liz Lemon with her co-workers.

All in all, though I enjoyed the show. If you're looking for classic Looney Tunes, this is not the show foir you, but if you are looking for a pretty damn funny cartoons show--a rarity in itself, these days--I say check out The Looney Tunes Show.

CG

No comments:

Post a Comment